Security work at Linaro
The Linaro Security Working Group (SWG) was created to help ensure an optimised and efficient software ecosystem exists to support Arm Open Source Linux distributions on security related topics, and to accelerate the delivery of high quality secure products across the Arm Open Source ecosystem. The team’s mission is to avoid and prevent fragmentation of implementations underpinning security within Arm based systems.
In order to enable secure boot and to enable security on devices one has several choices to make depending on what architectural layer you are working with. The SWG are doing work in both normal user space applications as well as implementing drivers and adding general security enhancements to Linux kernel. Another area where SWG spends a lot of time is in the so called Trusted Execution Environment (TEE). Find out more about Linaro’s work on OP-TEE on this website or on the project’s own domain.
The SWG is creating reference designs showing how normal and Trusted Application code and libraries can be integrated within a particular platform such as Android. Activities include the development of an Open Source reference implementation of the W3C Encrypted Media Extension (EME) using platform security features for secure media playback on mobile and digital home devices; and an Open Source reference implementation of secure boot for the 64-bit Arm Cortex-A series processor cores to complement the Arm Trusted Firmware open source project, targeted at server applications.
By delivering tested reference Open Source software Linaro will enable SoC vendors, OEMs and application developers to more easily understand how to design and build secure applications across a wide range of Arm products and segments. These include the Internet of Things, mobile devices, the digital home.
- Key player in software related to security such as TEE solutions and kernel hardening on Arm systems.
- Stabilize Armv7-A and Armv8-A TEE solution(s) running on Android.
- Active role in open sourcing a TEE.
- Active part of Linaro’s (LHG) mission creating DRM/EME reference. implementations for Android and Comcast RDK.
- Kernel hardening - with Arm contribution in [Kernel Self Protection Project].
- Include, [Travis], LAVA and CI in the all tasks.
- Actively monitor and contribute to relevant Open Source projects.
- Deliver the Linaro Open Source Security Project
The Security Working Group does all planning and tracking in [JIRA] which you can follow in detail if you are a Linaro member and have the required access (Linaro IT gives access).